10.) Describe components of the universe and their relationships to each other, including stars, planets and their moons, solar systems, and galaxies.
• Identifying the impact of space exploration on innovations in technologyExamples: MRI, microwave, satellite imagery, GPS
• Mapping seasonal changes in locations of constellations in the night sky
• Describing the life cycle of a star
Example: H-R diagram
2.) Describe the structure of atoms, including the location of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
• Identifying the charge of each subatomic particle
• Identifying Democritus and Dalton as contributors to the atomic theory
3.) Determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and the mass of an element using the periodic table.
• Locating metals, nonmetals, metalloids, and noble gases on the periodic table
• Using data about the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom to determine its reactivity