2.) Describe the structure of atoms, including the location of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
• Identifying the charge of each subatomic particle
• Identifying Democritus and Dalton as contributors to the atomic theory
3.) Determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and the mass of an element using the periodic table.
• Locating metals, nonmetals, metalloids, and noble gases on the periodic table
• Using data about the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom to determine its reactivity
12.) Classify waves as mechanical or electromagnetic.
- mechanical-earthquake waves;
- electromagnetic-ultraviolet light waves, visible light waves
• Describing how earthquake waves, sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves can be destructive or beneficial due to the transfer of energy
• Describing longitudinal and transverse waves
• Describing how waves travel through different media
• Relating wavelength, frequency, and amplitude to energy
•Describing the electromagnetic spectrum in terms of frequencies
Example: electromagnetic spectrum in increasing frequencies-microwaves, infrared light, visible light, ultraviolet light, X rays